Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May The Fourth Be With You

After half a year of "if it happens it happens" and a year of actually trying and several doctors, Jason and I had decided not to try during the month of April. We had an appointment in May and I wanted to enjoy my cousin's wedding and it was just going to be an "off" month for our stress levels. So when May 1st came and I didn't get my period I wasn't exactly suspicious. I've been a few days late before (and a week and a half late one memorable month) and I'd been feeling period symptoms for a week now in the form of cramps and sore/swollen breasts (not to mention the mood swings and the break outs) so I knew it was coming. But it didn't. And it didn't come on the 3rd either.

When you've been trying for this long you learn not to let yourself get too excited when you miss a few days. It inevitably ends up as Negative on your little pee stick. But I began to notice that I was unbelievably exhausted - I'd even taken a nap on the 1st, and I never nap. Today I had barely been able to clean the bathrooms since I was so tired. So my hopes? They were getting up. I told Jason and he compromised that if I hadn't gotten it by Friday I could take one since the amount of money I have wasted on pregnancy tests this past year and a half has been absurd. I agreed.

Around 8pm I decided I wanted ice cream. Nay! I NEEDED ice cream. So I convinced Jason to take me  to ColdStone and we walked around for a bit. On the way home I convinced him to stop at CVS so I could buy Pregnancy Tests with the promise that I'd wait till Friday! My promises? Apparently mean nothing. Since when we got home I read the boxes I had memorized a long long time ago and then declared I'd never sleep if I didn't take it. So I did.

Three minutes later I was expecting to have that familiar disheartening but sanity restoring moment of "Okay. One line. I'll calm down now." Instead? I went: "Jason. Jason there's two lines. There's TWO LINES!" and burst into tears. Jason snatched it up and stared at it with wide eyes before telling me to take the digital test I'd gotten in the event that I needed a back up test. So I took it and I didn't even wait the full three minutes. In under a minute it popped up 'pregnant' and I cried and Jason was wide eyed and we were freaking out.

After our moments of freaking out we took a picture of the digital test and texted it to our mothers. Would it have perhaps been better to wait till Sunday and given them 'Happy Grandmother's Day!' cards? Definitely. Do we have self restraint? Definitely not. So we exclaimed and freaked out with our parents and our sisters and then we kind of sat next to each other and went "Holy shit we have so much to do!"

I know it's early. I know so much can go wrong. I'm calling our doctor(s) tomorrow and making appointments. Right now the due date (according to pregnancy calculators) is JANUARY 09, 2012.

I'm just glad I'll have a baby before the world ends

2 comments:

  1. Katie! I had the biggest surprise of my life when I saw your blog URL pop up on my blog stats -- and saw it was YOUR pregnancy blog! Secret is still safe with me but, oh, I can't stop being so excited for you and Jason! This is so, so, so wonderful! I had no idea you guys were even trying. Can you believe gone are the days of us standing around the cash wrap discussing how we'll never get engaged? Now look! We're old, or something, hahaha! I can't wait for our babies to be BFF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU!!!! Yeah we've been trying for awhile and - for having been trying - it was such a surprise lol!! I know, it seems like just yesterday we were longingly watching Zales and discussing how to get the boys to know what rings we wanted!! And now you're only a couple months from being a mom!!

    ReplyDelete