Sunday, September 18, 2011

23 wks (3ds)

I am 23 weeks, and this means Bebe is officially viable. Now, when my mom first told me she'd breathe easier when i got to 23 weeks because of this I was like "okay cool?" but didn't really get it. So I did what all first time pregnant people do when they come across a term related to their pregnancy that they don't entirely comprehend: I Googled it. Now the term 'viability' by itself isn't that confusing. I know it means that the amazing staff at Winnie Palmer - where I'm delivering - would do whatever they could to keep her alive and that she had a fighting chance. But just HOW viable would she be? 23 weeks is very early, after all. According to the all mighty Wikipedia, in a study done from 2003-2005 shows that babies born at 23 weeks had a 20-35% survival rating. This increased to 50% at 24/25 weeks and up to 90% for the 26/27 week mark. So it's very much a relief to have reached this point in my pregnancy, and I feel like I have a safety net to work with. Of course I want her to stay in there for the next 14-17 weeks (oh my God, how do I only have 14-17 more weeks left??) so that she grows strong and healthy. I still worry about her constantly, but I have learned to accept that as just par for the course. I'm never going to not worry about her, so I may as well just accept it and put it aside as something I won't be able to help. But Friday is my monthly appointment and I'm looking forward to hearing that woosh-woosh heartbeat and knowing she is alright.

As for me I've still had the Acid Reflux, though since giving up OJ it has been a lot better. I read an interesting ARTICLE about a study on heartburn that Johns Hopkins University performed on Heartburn and Hair Growth that was really interesting!! I've also been finding myself getting terribly nauseous around dinner time. I'll eat dinner and then feel like I want to be sick. Last night it hit me around 9pm and tonight around 8. It's starting to wear off a little now, but I still just feel ill. Hopefully this isn't a symptom that stays because I am starving all the time now and I really really just want to eat.

As for Bebe, she weighs just over 1 lb. and is now just over 11" long making her about the size of a papaya. Her sense of movement is now developed and when I jump around or dance or move she can feel it. BabyCenter says I might be able to see her moving but they're a little off as I've been seeing her move for a week now. Blood vessels are developing in her lungs as well to prepare them for breathing (and screaming). Her ears have also gotten pretty keen and loud sounds she hears now will help prepare her for life outside of me. We saw Lion King in 3D last night, so while the 3D did absolutely nothing for her I hope she absorbed listening to the movie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment